The Kenora HandiTransit is a non-profit service. Fundraising is necessary and donations are gratefully accepted. Inquire about our endowment fund – the gift that keeps on giving. HandiTransit is overseen by a Volunteer Board of Directors and exists to provide accessible transportation for those individuals in our community who require special transportation. The HandiTransit operates two lift equipped mini-busses which have a maximum seating capacity of five wheelchairs and four ambulatory passengers. Service is provided to all areas within the city limits.
The fare for HandiTransit is $5 one way. If an attendant is required payment is also $5 one-way. If you would prefer to pay by ticket rather than cash – tickets can be purchased at the office, which is located downstairs at the Kenora Rec Centre at the cost of $50 for a book of 10.
Please call 807-468-3295 for hours of service. After-hours service can be provided if sufficient bookings, upon request and approval. If after-hours service is provided the cost will be $10 for a one-way trip.
To schedule a trip call the dispatch office at 468-3295 between 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Weekends and after office hour calls are forwarded directly to the driver.
Please ensure that you have the following information available:
- Name and phone number
- Exact location of pick-up and drop-off points
- Times for pick-up and return…if it is a medical trip, give the time of your appointment.
- Advise if an attendant will be accompanying you.
Wheelchairs MUST be safe and well maintained to be transported on HandiTransit. The design of HandiTransit Vans limits the type and size of wheelchairs and scooters, which may be safely transported (contact office for more information). For the safety of all concerned the following guidelines are in effect:
- Passengers in transit MUST wear a seatbelt at all times.
- All wheelchairs must be capable of being secured into position in the van.
- All wheelchairs must have properly functioning brakes.
- Motorized wheelchairs should have a variable speed control, brakes capable of stopping the chair within 10 inches and leak-proof batteries.
- No flags or other projections are permitted.
- There is no smoking permitted on the van.
- The service is reserved for registered riders. Arrangements can be made to accommodate emergency trips and visitors when possible.
- All bookings must be made at least 24 hours in advance unless bus time is available.
- Be prepared to leave on time, as the van cannot wait more than five (5) minutes. This is a shared-ride public transit system, and other passengers may be picked up and dropped off enroute. If the van is late, please be patient; heavy traffic, road and weather conditions, or an emergency may cause delay. For delays greater than 15 minutes, please phone dispatch.
- Please ensure that entrance/exits at pick-up and drop-off points are accessible. If necessary – capable assistance must be available or the driver can refuse to transport you.
- Wheelchair passengers will be required to wear a “wheelchair seatbelt” at all times while on the van. All wheelchairs must come equipped with a seatbelt that has been fastened.
- Have your fare/ticket ready for the driver when you board the van. Cash and or tickets are method of payment at time of trip — no charges to account unless previously arranged.
- If you are unable to keep your booking with HandiTransit, please notify the dispatch office as soon as possible. Our NO SHOW policy is such that if the van goes to the pick-up point and you are not there, you will be required to pay the full fare for the trip.
- Conduct yourself in a polite and cordial manner while you are a passenger aboard HandiTransit.
Our New Bus
Please allow a minimum of one week for the Handi Transit Review Committee to process your application. Fill out the applicants information below and print it once complete. The applicant‘s heath care professional must then complete and certify the disability information section provided on the printout. Any cost related to completion of the form is the responsibility of the applicant.
1) Complete all fields before printing.
2))Submit form to your Health Care Professional to complete their portion and certify the form.
3) Fax to 807-468-5947 or drop off completed form to Handi Transit office.
The completed registration form must be returned to the Handi Transit office listed below.
Kenora HandiTransit is for those who require help with/or require special transportation, including those who are visually impaired, who have had surgery, fractures – those who have mobility issues in general.
A registration form signed by a medical professional is required in order to become a registered user. Forms can be obtained from the dispatch office or from the medical clinic.
However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.
Stephen Hawking ,
There is a plan and a purpose, a value to every life, no matter what its location, age, gender or disability.
Sharron Angle ,
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.